Working from home during COVID-19

As the UK begins to ‘unlock’ it is likely that homeworking will stay in place for some time to come.

Employers are responsible for the safety of their employees even if they are working from home. The Health and Safety Executive has created a guide for employers, including advice on managing stress and mental health.

In addition, please take a look at some useful guides and factsheets for you and your employees.

An employer’s quick guide to managing remote workers

This guide serves as an introduction to managing remote employees and includes best practices for keeping employees engaged.   It also includes sample remote working policies, agreements and checklists to help you establish a remote working program.

The guide should be used for informational purposes only and not be considered as legal guidance.

If you would like to have editable versions of any of the documents in this guide, please contact us and we’ll send them to you. 

Employer considerations during COVID-19

COVID-19 raises a number of liability concerns, particularly if employees are affected due to a business’ negligence.

Our employees are the lifeblood of our businesses and ensuring that their welfare is looked after is critical to business continuation and moving things on post lockdown.

Kennedys Solicitors have provided a comprehensive document that gives excellent guidance for employers and some insight into potential exposures to businesses.  They offer some guidance about likely employers’ liability claims that may stem from the coronavirus and highlight the key elements of such a claim, including employers duties, risk assessments and causation.

To help support both your employees and your business its important to proactively manage the potential risks. We have pulled together various resources to help you navigate the impact of COVID-19 on your business and your employees.

Managing the risks 

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has a section on its dedicated to infections at work, containing useful
guidance for employers. The sections on pandemic influenza and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), are likely to be particularly helpful in terms of conducting a COVID-19 risk assessment and identifying appropriate control measures.

Employers should make sure they are following all government protocols to properly protect their employees from contracting COVID-19.

Preparing for a claim:

Employers that are dealing with a COVID-19 employers’ liability claim should report it to a qualified insurance professional. When reporting potential claims:

  • Include COVID-19 in the incident description.
  • Investigate the incident. You’ll want to report whether the worker involved in the claim came into contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19. It’s also important to confirm when the employee in question began to experience COVID-19 symptoms and whether or not they have tested positive for the disease. Moreover, employers must rely on the ill employee to provide workplace-specific information that could prove compensability.
  • Determine if the worker could have fallen ill from a friend or family member.
  • Provide details regarding the employee’s perceived level of risk for contracting COVID-19. For instance, you’ll want to highlight whether the employee works in a high-risk role (eg a medical professional).
  • Include robust documentation on the measures your organisation has taken to protect employees from COVID-19. This includes travel and event restrictions, cleaning and sanitation practices, social distancing protocols and remote work plans.

What Type of Business Insurance Do I Need?

The type of insurance you need will depend entirely on the type of business would like to insure. This post will cover some of the more popular and relevant insurance types which are useful and can stop you wondering about “what if?” situations. You may also hear business insurance referred to as commercial insurance, both of these terms generally refer to the most common business insurance types; public liability and employers’ liability insurance.

Is business insurance a legal requirement?

Not all types of business insurance are a legal requirement, however for most businesses that have employees, you will be required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

So, What Business Insurance Type Do I Need?

This assessment is quite easy to do yourself once you are acquainted with the various types of business insurance available, however at Central Insurance Brokers we are always on hand to help you get the right cover for your business, just give us a call.

There are a range of insurance types applicable to all businesses, such as a situation that may mean a dissatisfied customer claims that the work you have completed for them is not a true reflection of the contract. Or this could be a member of the public who is accidentally injured on your premises and seeks compensation which could result in a hefty payout for your business.

So let’s get into the business insurance types in detail:

Public Liability Insurance

This is probably one of the most common and well known types of business insurance, public liability insurance should be a definite consideration if your business comes into contact with members of the public. This is not just on your own premises, you are liable wherever your business operates. Not having public liability insurance will mean you are not protected against compensation claims from members of the public for injury and damage created by clients, customers and suppliers. Most business which operated in the public domain take out this insurance, such as hotels, bars, hairdressers and tradesmen.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

As covered above, this is most likely a legal requirement for your business if your business employs staff. Employers’ liability insurance covers you against compensation claims made by members of staff in events such as injury or illness as a result of working for your business. There are exceptions to the rule of this insurance type being a legal requirement, you can find out if you are legally exempt by checking the HSE Guidelines.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Indemnity insurance can be important for certain types of business but as the previous two, not applicable to all. If your business provides a professional service or gives advice to other business or if your business deals with client data. This insurance type covers you against human error which could result in your client losing money/business and suing you, professional indemnity insurance will cover you for any compensation claims and also legal fees. This may be a requirement for your business, you may already know if it is, if not feel free to get in touch with us for free, professional advice.

Business Contents Insurance

Business contents insurance will cover the contents of your premises, this could be electrical equipment such as laptops and servers or tools used by tradesmen. You can cover your tools against theft, damage or loss, so you can repair or replace the damaged equipment quickly without causing a major impact in your business.

Stock Insurance

Similar to contents insurance, stock insurance will cover any stock help on your premises or in storage. You are again covered in the event of your stock being stolen, damaged or lost.

Business Buildings Insurance

Business buildings insurance should be a priority, as your business premises is, more often than not, the foundation of your business. This is commonly taken out by hotels, shops, offices and pubs, it may already be covered if you are renting however we recommend that you check with your landlord.

That covers some of the more popular types of business insurance, however there are a range of other business insurance types, that we do offer, which is not included in this post.

If you have any further questions about insuring your business and would like free professional advice,please get in touch with our business insurance experts today

Do I Need Business Insurance?

This is a broad question and the answer is dependant on the type of your business. However, we have tried our best to answer some of the most common questions and we are always available to help you assess your liabilities and provide you with the most complete business insurance quote.

In some cases you may have a contractual obligation for certain types of insurance. In the online world, freelancers are more commonplace now than ever before and contracts with larger clients frequently require that you are covered with professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance.

At Central Insurance we know it is always important to consider the worst case scenario for your business and business insurance offers peace of mind and can stop the “what if” thoughts. There are various types of insurance that offer this peace of mind and again it is dependant on your business type.

Do I need business insurance if I work from home?

As with most questions about business insurance the answer is dependant on the type of business.

If you have visitors to your home in relation to your business you may need public liability insurance, which would cover you against claims from members of the general public in case of an accident on your premises.

Stock stored at home may not be covered by your home contents insurance and you may need to look into another policy to cover yourself in the event of theft or accidental damage.

If your business deals with sensitive information and clients personal data which you then hold on your premises, you may want to consider professional indemnity insurance.

Do I need business insurance for an online business?

When running an online business, you generally won’t be open to the general public like a brick and mortar store would be. However public liability insurance may still be applicable to your business if you are visited by customers and other members of the general public. This will cover you against claims in the event of an accident on your premises.

If you run an e-commerce business and keep stock on your property you will need cover for contents. As mentioned above, if you run your online business from your home and the stock is held there it may not be covered by your home contents insurance. Depending on the products you sell online you could also be liable from injuries caused by these items, such as jewellery and clothing as well as food poisoning claims if you are selling edible items.

If your business deals in professional advice or services, liabilities could include data loss and sensitive information breaches. For which you would want to consider professional indemnity insurance.

Do I need business insurance as a sole trader?

As mentioned at the start of this article, the answer to this question depends on the type of business you have and what the potential liabilities are.

If your business requires you to have tools, such as a home improvement business you may want to consider tool insurance. These could be stored in your van or in your home and may not be covered by your current insurance policies in the event of theft or accidental damage.


If you have any further questions about insuring your business and would like free professional advice, please get in touch with our business insurance experts today.


New £300m Attraction revealed for Blackpool

Blackpool Council have today released the long-awaiting details of a new attraction on the Central Corridor site.

The development, which is on the former Central Train station land, is being developed by Nikal Ltd and Media Invest Entertainment.

The all-year round complex will have a  Flying Theatre dubbed Chariots Of The Gods; a huge indoor adventure park as well new restaurants, hotels, food market and the possibility of a night club.

Blackpool Council estimate that the development will attract an additional 600,000 tourists annually bringing in revenues of up to £75m. As well as this there is to be an estimated 1,000 jobs created.

Central Insurance Managing Director said: “This is fantastic announcement and much welcome boost to the local hospitality industry

“Everyone at Central Insurance is exicited to see this development start which I believe construction is to start summer 2021”

More Pictures below…

Insurance due? Click here to visit our homepage








Fireworks and Insurance

If you are organising a public bonfire or firework display then you want your display to go off with a bang and not be left with any headaches after.

REMEMBER, REMEMBER to make sure you have the correct Liability cover in place.

Some Insurance Companies do not automatically extend Liability to cover these types of events so check before the event.

If you’re unsure on anything please call 01253 764294

Marsh & McLennan in major acquisition of JLT Group

The deal, worth $5.6bn (£4.3bn) in cash, was announced yesterday (18 September) and is expected to close in spring 2019.

Our partners at Momentum have said: “A shame to see another great Insurance broking brand being lost to consolidation. But a great opportunity for independent UK brokers to demonstrate the value of personal service and client focus.” – Howard Pepper

Social Media Warning for Holiday Makers

Holidaymakers are being reminded that they could invalidate their home insurance if they post photos on social media while abroad. An article by the Telehgraph has warned against posting on social media whilst abroad can invalidate your home insurance.

Read the full article here: